Foreclosure Sale Info

Upcoming Foreclosures

Previous Foreclosures


Frequently Asked Questions and Answers for the Johnson County Mortgage Foreclosure Sales.

When and where are the sales held?

Sales are held every Wednesday and Thursday at 10am on the Johnson County Courthouse steps. (100 N Kansas Ave, Olathe KS)  The steps are located just inside the first set of double doors as you walk into the south entrance of the building

Where can I get the addresses for the foreclosed properties?

There are three places that you may be able to obtain the address.

  1. The best resource for address information is the Clerk of the District Court. Court files are maintained by the Clerk’s office for each case.  You will need the case number and/or name of the defendant/homeowner to look up the file.  The court file contains the legal documents that have been filed with that particular case and are public record.  Looking through that file you should be able to find a physical and legal address.
  2. The Register of Deeds is also another resource; they will need the name of the defendant/homeowner to look up property addresses. However, some people do own more than one property. In order to make sure that you are getting information on the correct property you will need to cross check it with the court file to verify.
  3. The Treasurer’s Office may be able to provide a physical address as well.  You will need the name of the defendant/homeowner in order to obtain a physical address on a property. However, like the Register of Deeds, you will need to cross check the information with the court file in order to verify that you are getting the correct property information as they may own more than one property.
Can I get access to the properties listed for sale?

No.  There is NO legal access to the property.  It is considered an “as is” sale with no implied or expressed warranty.  The homeowner still has legal possession of the property and may still be living there. Please be respectful of that.

Do you have opening bids prior to the sale?

The attorney for the Plaintiff, usually the lending institution, will make the opening bid the bidding is then open to the public. The property is sold to the highest bidder.  We do not have information on the opening bid prior to the start of the sale.

If I am the successful bidder how do I pay for the property?

The property is advertised and sold as cash in hand at the time of the sale.  Cash is defined as: cash, certified checks or money orders.  The certified check or money order is made payable to the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office no later than 3pm on the date of the sale.  Payments are to be brought to the Justice Annex, 588 E Santa Fe, Suite 2000, Olathe KS.

What are redemption rights?

In every case the judge sets a redemption period in accordance to state statute.  Most redemption periods are 3 to 12 months depending on how much is still owed on the loan. The redemption period allows the defendant to exercise their redemption rights. The redemption rights allow the defendant to pay off the bid amount and any associated cost thereby they retain the possession of the property. During the redemption period you have no legal right of access to the property and the defendant can still reside and maintain possession of the property.  

Questions on Foreclosure Sales can be directed to the Sheriff's Civil Division Monday thru Friday 8-5 p.m. (913)715-5250.Disclaimer: Laws in Kansas may change and there may be times when information on this web site may not be current. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. This website is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney.