Civilian Specialist (Non-Sworn) Positions
The Civilian Specialist is a non-sworn position with primary assignment in the Detention Bureau, but may be assigned to other areas of the organization based on operational need. This position provides support for sworn deputies in the following areas:
- Detention Center Property Room
- Detention Center Records
- Court Coordinator
- Video Court
- Central Booking
Because the Sheriff’s Office is a twenty-four hour, seven day a week operation, Civilian Specialist may be assigned to work any shift and any day of the week, including holidays.
- Must be 18 years of age at time of appointment.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
- Honorable Discharge from Military (if applicable).
- United States Citizen.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license with limited traffic record.
- Any usage of non-prescribed drugs must have been limited and not recent.
- Applicants will have to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen.
- May not have any felony convictions, or other restrictions per KSA 74-5605 or its equivalent under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Must be of good moral character.
- Average or above average physical condition with weight in proportion to height. No physical or mental condition that hampers performance and causes unnecessary risk to oneself or the community. Able to walk, run and stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to transverse or climb irregular surfaces.
- Normal hearing and sense of smell.
- Eyesight requirement of 20/20 or correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Full color vision or corrected color vision certified by a physician. Night and peripheral vision required.
- Demonstrate responsibility and stable behavior in their past employments, financial history, personal relationships and personality.
- Applicants must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
- The Sheriff’s Office does not have a residency requirement.