The Johnson County Sheriff's Central Record Division serves as a repository for all records managed and generated by the Sheriff’s Office.
MAIN LINE: (913) 715-5460
FAX LINE: (913) 715-5475
EMAIL: UNIT SUPERVISOR
OFFICE HOURS: Monday – Friday 8:00a.m – 5:00p.m. (Closed Holidays)
LOCATION: Fred Allenbrand Criminal Justice Complex
27747 W. 159th Street, New Century, KS 66031
Police reports may be requested in person or in writing.
Request for copies may take up to 72 hours for a reply depending on the time of receipt and the nature of the incident.
Information and reports on cases still under investigation cannot be released.
TO REQUEST A REPORT:
Mail request to:
Johnson County Sheriff's Office
c/o Central Records Division
27747 W 159th Street
New Century, KS 66031
Provide a report number (if available), date, time, location of the incident, name(s) of the person(s) involved.
If paying in person via cash, the exact amount is necessary. The Sheriff’s Records Unit does not keep money on site and cannot make change.
The Sheriff’s Office does not accept credit or debit cards.
Checks and money orders are payable to: Johnson County Sheriff’s Office
RECORDS ACCESS AND PREPARATION FEE SCHEDULE
Pursuant to K.S.A. 45-219, requesters are responsible for payment of costs incurred by the Sheriff’s Office in providing access to or furnishing copies of public records based on the following fee schedule:
REPORT COPY COST: (Effective 12-01-2015)
Accident Reports may be retrieved at no charge by visiting the Accident Retrieval link on the Sheriff's Office website.
Printed reports are $1.00 for the first page and $0.25 per any additional page.
Printed photographs are $5.00 per page.
Photographs and/or audio copied to a CD are $3.00 per CD plus $1.00 for materials.
Video copied to a DVD is $25.00 per DVD plus $1.00 for materials.
STAFF TIME: (Effective 12-01-2015)
The requester is responsible for payment of staff time required to search, retrieve, prepare, or reproduce public records. This may include time spent accessing records maintained on computers or other archive sites, reviewing records to determine whether they contain information responsive to the request or whether exceptions to disclosure apply, and/or redacting closed information from records.
- Clerical: $15 per hour
- Research: $25 per hour
- All Other Staff: Actual hourly rate of compensation
- Upon request, public records may be mailed by U.S. mail to the requester upon advance payment of all postal charges. Payment of all costs associated with the request must be made by the requester prior to mailing.
- The requester is responsible for payment of any other costs incurred in connection with complying with a request.
- Payment may be made by cash or check. Please make checks payable to the “Johnson County Sheriff’s Office.” Payment of all costs is required prior to receipt of or access to records. Upon request, or for large document requests, the Sheriff’s Office may provide an estimate of the costs that will be incurred in responding to a request. The Sheriff’s Office may require advanced payment of the estimated fees prior to gathering the requested records.
- Indigent requestors will be provided up to 1 hour of staff time and up to 20 pages of paper copies per calendar month at no charge. This limit applies regardless of the number of separate requests made by the requestor. It also applies to agents for a requestor (e.g., if the indigent requestor has a friend, accomplice or agent make a request on the indigent person’s behalf in an effort to avoid the monthly limit).
Record checks must be obtained in person by the individual requesting the records during normal business hours.
Only records belonging to the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office can be reviewed. For incidents and reports that were handled by a different a city agency or Kansas Highway Patrol, contact the appropriate agency directly.
A more extensive personal background check may be obtained by visiting the Kansas Bureau of Investigations website. (a fee may be involved)
LETTER OF INCARCERATION INFORMATION
Letters of Incarceration may be obtained at no cost by visiting Inmate Search.
If obtained in person, report pricing fees listed above will apply.
If request is made in person, requestor must have a valid photo ID.
TO OBTAIN A LETTER ONLINE:
Click the link titled "Inmate Search" located under the DETENTION tab.
Type the inmate's last name then first in the fields provided.
Select "Show Previous Booking History (last 3 years)".
Right click "SEARCH".
Select the appropriate record from the list provided.
This will pull up all inmate's past booking information within the designated time period.
Visually confirm the data reflected is applicable for the inmate and dates desired.
Initiate the "PRINT" function to produce a Letter of Incarceration for that individual.
PAYING WITH A CREDIT CARD (FOR ATTORNEY USE ONLY)
- To pay for discovery, reports, etc., you may pay online
- You must request to be invoiced
- You will be notified your invoice is ready for payment
- You may complete your transaction here